Due to COVID-19, regulations require us to self-isolate or quarantine for various reasons. During this time, we should take care of our mental health and physical health.
Of course, there is more to proper oral hygiene besides flossing and brushing one’s teeth. Here are some tips on how to take care of your oral health while having to self-quarantine:
- When in isolation there could be a tendency to binge eat! Most of the time this would mean an increased intake of sweets. This situation causes our teeth to be continuously exposed to sugars in particular. The resulting acids produced by the fermentation of sugar-rich foods by bacteria present in dental plaque accelerate the process of demineralization of tooth enamel, increasing the risk of dental caries. A healthy balanced diet would be important during this period.
- It might be a good idea to take care of the oral hygiene of the younger ones. Quarantining can be hard, especially for the kids. We need to make sure that they stick to their regular routine of brushing and flossing before they can get back to their regular dental visits.
- It might be a good idea to keep your families’ toothbrushes apart from each other to prevent the spread of germs.
- Watch out for any changes in your mouth and call the dentist if need be.
- Many of us have put our regular dental hygiene appointment on hold. Do not forget to keep or make your regular dental visit appointment when you are done with the isolation.
- Stay positive! The pandemic is transient; however, your teeth are not!
Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further questions and our friendly team will be more than happy to help.